The Cause account is for registered Charites that want to use PayFast to receive donations and/or payments. Examples of registered Charities are:
- Non-Profit Organisation
- Public Benefits Organisation
- Section 21 or Not For Profit Company
How do I verify my account?
To verify your account, you will need to provide us with the documentation indicated below:
1. Proof of registration
Non-Profit Organisation (NPO):
- A copy of NPO registration certificate as issued by the Department of Social Development.
Public Benefits Organisation (PBO):
- A copy of PBO registration confirmation as issued by the South African Revenue Service (SARS) (if applicable)
Section 21 Company / NPC:
- A copy of the companies registration documents that reflect the company is a registered Section 21 company or an NPC (Non-profit company).
- Trust registration documentation (IT number)
- Or the Trust Agreement / Deed of Trust
2. Proof of physical address of the organisation
Please note we can not accept proof of address that is sent to a PO Box address.
A document which must reflect the organisation's name and physical address.
Here is a list of valid documents that can be used to verify an organisation's physical address:
- A utility bill, such as water, electricity or rates (less than 3 months)
- A bank statement or financial statement from a financial institution (less than 3 months old)
- A copy of a signed lease agreement (by both parties), (less than 1-year-old)
- A municipal rates and taxes invoice (less than 3 months old)
- A mortgage statement from another financial institution, (less than 6 months old)
- A telephone account, ie. a landline or cellphone account (less than 3 months old)
- An official tax return/tax assessment (less than 1-year-old)
- Official correspondence from the South African Revenue Services ("SARS") (less than 3 months old)
- A recent insurance policy issued by an insurance company for your organisation.
- Correspondence from a body corporate or share– block association (less than 3 months old)
- A valid television license document
- A recent short–term insurance policy document or a short–term insurance renewal letter (less than 1-year-old)
- A retail account statement (less than 3 months old)
- A written affidavit signed and stamped by a registered commissioner of oaths which confirms that the organisation is permitted to operate from a legitimate address.
3. Proof of the organisation's bank account
Please note that we can not accept an internet banking transaction statement. A scanned paper statement or an electronic monthly statement issued by the bank are acceptable.
A single document is sufficient, below is a list of examples that could be used:
- Bank account statement reflecting the organisation's name and bank account number.
- Or a letter from bank reflecting the organisation's name and bank account number.
- Or a cancelled cheque reflecting the organisation's name and bank account number.
4. Proof of the organisation's director showing:
5. Proof of the PayFast account holder (if not a director) showing:
- Proof of identity (What can I use?)
Where do I upload the documents?
- Log into your PayFast account.
- Select the Account tab.
- Click on the red Verify button.
- Upload the necessary verification documents to your account.
Our Support team will review your documentation. Account verification usually takes two business day to complete.